GeniusWorks is an innovative consulting firm, led by Peter Fisk, helping business leaders to develop better strategies, bolder brands, faster innovation and smarter marketing.
We help you make sense of change, to find the best opportunities, and to focus on making at impact fast. We help you to see things differently and think different things, by starting from the future then working back, from the outside then working in – and by combining smart analytics with creative thinking, big ideas with practical action
Our approach is fast, facilitated and focused.
We harness the energy and expertise of your own people, adding new insights and disciplined process, to make sense of complexity, define the right question, rapidly develop a range of creative possibilities, then focus on evaluating then executing the right solution. This builds engagement, momentum, and delivers results.
Typical services range from future strategy to horizon planning, helping you to make sense of change, and be fit for the future. Once focused on the right strategy, it then brings together customer insight and brand development, and flows through to value propositions and customer experiences. This is all done in a way that combines “future back” thinking to ensure it moves towards the goal, and “outside in” inspired by customers. It can be done largely intuitively using insights and imagination, common sense and experience. Or it can driven by detailed analysis, from segment targeting to portfolio optimisation, to focus on the right value drivers, and optimise value creation.
Innolab … accelerating ideas into action
Innolab is a fast and focused process to accelerate your best ideas to market, working with your key people, stretching and shaping their thinking, and guiding them through the phases of insight and ideation, design and evaluation, strategy and implementation. The process is built around three key workshops, typically two-days each, with some work in between:
- Insight Lab – opening up through insight and ideation
- Design Lab – shaping and evaluating the best concepts
- Action Lab – agreeing a strategy and implementation plan
Innolab is a well structured, practical and proven process for taking your team rapidly through the phases of problem-solving and creative development. It can be used for any form of business or brand strategy development, innovation of new products, concepts and businesses.
Explore more about Innolab accelerated development
Example client project … Philosophy … from USA to South Korea
Philosophy is an inspiring cosmetics brand from Phoenix, Arizona, that has developed a cult following for its distinctive products such as “Hope in a Jar”. Recently acquired by Coty of France, the brand team wanted to rethink the brand for global growth. We developed a fast, high-energy series of workshops in New York brought the global team together to develop a new core proposition, growth platforms with focus on Asian markets. This included the development of a new brand strategy, core brand proposition, and how to combine the serious skincare products with fun bath range. It explored new opportunities such as how to leverage its deep community of users, for example through brand experiences and gifting, and prioritised horizons plan for extensions into new markets. It included a roll-out of new concept stores in Singapore and South Korea.
Example client project … Turkcell … phone shops to creative spaces
The mobile phone company has more retail locations across Turkey than any other brands, but found its location increasingly used for support activities. How could it do more with its stores, to build its brand, engage people more often and more deeply? Through a series of three two-day workshops, we facilitated the cross-functional project team explored insights and parellels to develop new concept stores ranging from business centers for entrepreneurs to gaming zones for youth. Other projects with Turkcell have included developing a SME growth strategy, built on a new segmentation model developing partnerships and propositions for different professions – from artisans to doctors.
Strategy and Growth
Finding and shaping your best opportunities for profitable growth
- Explore – making sense of change, and the possible futures
- Vision – defining the future on your terms, and how to create
- Strategy – developing a strategy that will deliver today and tomorrow
- Horizons – mapping out the practical phases in strategy delivery
- Impact – ensuring that strategy execution drives profitable growth
Example client project … Cinnamon Hotels … a new strategy for Asian growth
The hotel chain was relatively small, focusing on tropical in the Indian Ocean and safari locations in Sri Lanka. Initially the leadership team wanted to respond to the growing challenge of western entrants into local markets. However through rapid analysis of market growth opportunities, in a series of high energy workshops, recognised the much more significant growth of emerging markets like China and India, and their different aspirations for hotels. Through customer immersion and creative design, we developed a new strategy for growth which combined market selection, new brand and positioning, new customer experience concept, and franchise formats. This project was done in partnership with Brand Finance, experts in brand and business analytics.
Example client project … Pinar Foods … refocusing strategy and brand portfolio
Pinar is a leading food and drinks company, the largest diary in Turkey and with a diverse portfolio that reaches across Europe and the Middle East. The leadership team wanted a new strategy for the business and brand. Our approach combined deep analytics and creative development. It included detailed analysis of value-based financial drivers by market, category and product, both current and estimating future growth. This was brought together with market research, industry trends, and learning from related businesses and sectors across the world. The result was a new purpose and vision, new articulation of the brand, refocusing product portfolio eliminating some low-value and adding new areas, a simplified consumer-centric brand architecture, and an implementation plan for phased delivery and impact. This project was done in partnership with MCT, developing Turkish business leadership, and Brand Finance, experts in brand and business analytics.
Creativity and Innovation
Creating better ideas, to deliver innovative solutions, and more market impact.
- Ideation – creative development through insights and imagination
- Fusion – connecting the best ideas to solve the right challenge
- Concepts – shaping concepts that are inspiring, practical and commercial
- Evaluation – evaluating and turning the best few into rapid prototypes
- Delivery – maintaining creativity through delivery to innovate the market
Example client project … Pharma business … reinventing healthcare around patients and wellbeing.
One of the world’s largest pharma companies wanted to develop an innovation approach, in response to a rapidly changing healthcare marketplace. Initial weeks were spent on bringing together insights, trends and new ideas, whilst also seeking to define the key problems and opportunities more clearly. In particular it involved taking in the perspectives of multiple stakeholders – payers, physicians, pharmacists as well as patients – and balancing the need to conform with regulation, whilst also seeking to do new things. Over 6 months the team developed new approaches to each important therapeutic area, combining digital and physical channels, new services and partnerships. I have worked on a wide range of other projects with the same company, and other pharma businesses, over recent years, in both USA, Europe and emerging markets.
Example client project … Vitra Bathrooms … from product to experience innovation.
Vitra is part of the Eczacibasi group, and a leading designer and manufacturer of ceramic products. They wanted to develop a new innovation culture rapidly across their business, and to drive disruptive new concepts. We brought together all 150 brand, product, technical and sales managers into a high energy series of “big think” innolabs. This focuses on exploring the customer world, particularly in terms of spirit of bathrooms, and through deep dives and safaris, we developed a rich diversity of new ideas. Teams worked rapidly over 48 hour periods to define and prototype their emerging concepts – from fresh water baths, to shopping mall cubicles, disco-style showers, and harmony spas. Out of the evaluation and definition stage a small number of fully specified new concepts – bathroom experiences – which were tested and the best ones adopted.
Brands and Marketing
Attracting, serving and retaining your best customers, profitably.
- Customers – understanding the best existing and potential customers
- Brands – developing inspiring brands and their directional architecture
- Propositions – articulating focused and compelling propositions
- Solutions – developing the right products and services, price and channels
- Experiences – delivering the total customer experience, before and beyond
Example client project … Visa … sponsoring the London 2012 Olympics
Visa wanted to make more of its role as a global sponsor of the Olympic Games, to go beyond the conventional support of advertising and client hospitality. We explored the potential alignment with brand and business strategy, to understand how such a huge investment could be used more significantly. The team defined an ambition to make London 2012 the cashless games as a showcase of Visa’s new contactless and mobile payment technologies, bringing together its multiple new technologies to demonstrate how life really can flow faster, on and off the track.
Example client project … Tata Steel … from commodity to co-created solutions
Steel is a classic low-margin business, sold at the lowest price, in bars and sheets with little regard for its real application and value. Tata Steel, having recently acquired some of Europe’s leading steelmakers, and their high tech businesses, wanted to change that. We worked with them to develop a strategic plan that built a new brand and marketing concept around customers, and in particular how to co-create with customers, not the steel but the applications of the steel to the customers business. For example, helping automakers to develop more lightweight structures that reduce emissions and improve fuel efficiency. The organisation, brand and communication, product and processes aligned around this new approach, winning for customers and the business. This project was done in partnership with Brand Finance, experts in brand and business analytics.
What the video:
Caffeine: We work together to develop more creative brand and marketing concepts, combining digital and physical media, developing new brand stories and working more effectively with creative agencies.
- How to communicate brands with attitude: Bold
- More info: www.thecaffeinepartnership.com
- Contact: email@example.com
Smith & Co: We work together to design and deliver the best customer experiences, combining deep customer insight with intuitive imagination to focus on the optimal journey for customers, that builds loyalty and advocacy.
- How to deliver more human brand experiences: See Feel Think Do
- More info: www.smithconsultancy.com
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Quest: We work together to build organization energy, ready to make change happen and engage employees in creating the future whilst delivering today. This includes our new High Performance Lab which connects professional sport and business.
- How to be a high performance business: 9.58 Peak Performance
- More info: www.questagency.co.uk
- Contact: email@example.com
Brand Finance: We work together to develop more value-based strategies and innovations for brands and business. This is built on deep financial and customer analytics to develop the optimal brand positions, and profitable marketing impact.
- The world’s most valuable brands: Global Brand 500
- More info: www.brandfinance.com
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
MCT: We work together to develop more innovative strategies and innovation, develop new capabilities and deliver change in emerging markets – in particular Turkey and across the Middle East.
- How to build business in fast growth markets: GeniusIstanbul.com
- More info: www.mct.com.tr
- Contact: email@example.com
VI360: We work together to create and sustain winning brand reputations, by ensuring everything from corporate identity to communications frameworks, marketing activities and local franchisees align to deliver more impact.
- How to innovate your brand: Brand Innovation
- More info: www.vi360.com
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aeroflot: new brand strategy for the Russian airline
- Banyan Tree: exploring brand innovation and growth options as part of IPO
- Club Med: designing a better brand and customer experience
- Cinnamon Hotels: develop new business and brand strategy for growth
- Courvoisier: addressing declining share to find new markets and positionings
- Co-operative Bank: financial services innovation and value propositions
- Davidoff: New brand strategy and portfolio innovation for classic fragrance
- DSM: brand portfolio analysis and strategy development
- Eczacibasi: accelerated innovation, brands and marketing strategy
- Fat Face – growth strategy for niche clothing retailer into international markets
- Fosters: launch of new brands into the European market
- GSK: patient-centric, customer-centric healthcare innovation
- Hersheys: supporting launch into Africa and Middle East
- Oriflame: new value propositions for Central/Eastern Europe
- Philosophy: new global brand strategy for innovative brand
- Pinar: brand strategy, architecture and portfolio optimization
- Shell – strategy for repositioning the LPG business and channels to market
- Tata – rebranding acquired businesses from strategy to communication
- Telia Sonera: customer insight, propositions and strategy
- Turkcell: retail experience design and business propositions
- Unilever: sustainable brand imprinting and communication
- VB Beer – accelerating entry of Australia’s number one beer into new markets
- Visa: London 2012 Olympics sponsorship strategy
- Vodafone: global sustainability co-creation and strategy
- Vodafone – evaluating best brand models for partnerships and acquisitions worldwide