The Code of the Extraordinary Mind … What if everything you know is based on rules that are long past their expiry date?
May 23, 2016
What if everything we think we know about how the world works – our ideas of love, education, spirituality, work, happiness, and love – are based on “brules” (bullsh*t rules) that get passed from generation to generation and are long past their expiry date?
The Code of the Extraordinary Mind is a new book by Vishen Lakhiani, founder of Mindvalley, and offers a blueprint of laws to break us free from the shackles of an ordinary life.
It makes a case that everything we know about the world is shaped by conditioning and habit. And thus, most people live their lives based on limiting rules and outdated beliefs about pretty much everything—love, work, money, parenting, sex, health, and more—which they inherit and pass on from generation to generation.
But what if you could remove these outdated ideas and start anew? What would your life look like if you could forget the rules of the past, and redefine what happiness, purpose, and success mean for you?
As a summary of the book we will look at each of the 4 progressive levels of awareness, before explaining briefly how to put it all together.
How you were shaped by the world around you
Our “culturescape” is the cumulative rules, beliefs and norms that shape how we feel we should live. This section is about learning to recognize and question these rules.
• Law 1: Transcend the Culturescape. Transcending the culturescape is about stepping outside your perceived world, so you can start to recognize the relative truths that can be changed, and thereby free yourself.
• Law 2: Question the Brules. A Brule is basically a bullsh**t rule. For example, most of us have been taught that to be happy and successful, we must work hard, have good grades, a good career, a happy family and save for retirement. These are all Brules. In the book Lakhiani shares how such Brules are outdated and should be broken. He also explains the 5 main sources of Brules, and the Brules he has busted in his life (e.g. the Religion Brule, and the Hard Work Brule).
The Power to Choose Your Version of the World
Now that you can recognize and filter out the Brules in your culturescape, you’re ready to create your own rules, models and systems. Lakhiani calls this “consciousness engineering”, and the next 3 rules are related to this concept.
• Law 3: Practice Consciousness Engineering. Most of us update and upgrade our electronic gadgets and computer systems regularly, yet we don’t do the same for our beliefs and habits. Consciousness engineering is basically updating the operating system for your brain, in 2 parts: (a) Your hardware (Models of Reality, or beliefs) and (b) your software (Systems for Living, or habits). You can replace both your beliefs and habits, like how you replace parts of your computer hardware and software to optimize it.
• Law 4: Rewrite your Models of Reality. This law is about becoming replacing your disempowering beliefs with healthier and more empowering ones. In the book Lakhiani shares many examples of how specific incidents shifted his beliefs to deliver massive results, from relationships to business profits.
• Law 5: Upgrade your Systems for Living. This law is about consistently growing & innovating through new habits and practices. The “Discover-Improve-Measure” approach seeks to enhance your systems for living.
Transforming your Inner World
Next, we move on to discovering what makes you happy, and identifying your vision and goals for a fulfilling life. The next 3 laws are about “Reality Bending“.
• Law 6: Bending Reality. In 2008, Lakhiani discovered a simple switch which transformed his business profitability. He basically stopped pegging his happiness to his goals. Instead, he focused on being happy in the present, while working concurrently on his vision. He calls this “bending reality”–In this state, you love what you do, ideas flow to you intuitively, you attract the right people and opportunities, and things just fall in place. There are 2 elements: (a) be happy in the now, and (b) have an exciting vision for the future, and let this vision pull you forward.
• Law 7: Live in Blissipline. “Blissipline” is the discipline of daily bliss, or being happy in the now. In the book you explore the 3 sources of happiness, and 3 happiness hacks you can use immediately.
• Law 8: Create a Vision for your Future. Your heart-felt goals and vision provide the “forward momentum” to pull you ahead. Lakhini explains the difference between end-goals vs mean-goals, the 12 key types of end goals, and the 3 Most Important Questions to crystallize your end-goals.
Changing the World
Being spiritual doesn’t mean you have to drop all goals and ambitions, or shun wealth. Extraordinary people shape their paths and their environment, changing things around them and leaving their mark on this world, by mastering the last 2 laws.
• Law 9: Be unfuckwithable. When you’re unfuckwithable, you’re so fully in touch and at peace with yourself, that you’re no longer bothered by what others say or do. You’re not afraid to dream, take bold actions, and fail, knowing you can always learn and try again. You can love and give fully, without fearing the potential loss of any person/goal/thing.
• Law 10: Embrace your Quest. At this phase, you’re ready to serve your higher calling or your quest, and make your contribution to mankind. If you’re living all the previous rules, your quest will naturally come knocking. All you need to do is to listen and take action. Even if you’re unsure what to do, just take any baby step—this expresses your intent, and allows the Universe to guide you forward.
Lakhiani ends the book with a 6-Phase practice to enhance 6 skills that are crucial for reality bending. You can get more resources online at the Codex website.