Call the Glamsquad, visit the Drybar, or grab your smart brush … innovators shaking up the world of hair
January 27, 2017
Haircare is likely to be one of the most innovative areas of beauty in 2017, with traditional shampoos making way for next-generation cleansers, and nutrient-packed masks and supplements borrowing concepts from skincare. Customised haircare continues to wow consumers, while root touch-ups and vibrant colour provide instantaneous results. Salons are changing rapidly too, from stylist renting their own spaces to increasing specialisation, the convergence of home and salon with on demand services.
Here is a selection of some of the innovators shaking up the world of hair:
Drybar’s motto is “No cuts. No color. Just blowouts.” The California-based chain of 69 salons that solely provide hair styling service. … Alli Webb and her brother Michael talk about how they got started.
Mix. Match. Love … customised hair color for “the ultimate at-home salon experience – without the hefty price tag” … Colorist formulated hair color personalized just for you, and shipped direct to your door.
Function of Beauty
Developing personalised shampoo and conditioner formulations based on your unique hair type and hair goals. You select your formula colors, fragrance and even the name you want printed on the bottle.
Glamsquad is an app-based on-demand beauty service delivering professional and affordable beauty services to the home or office – blowouts, manicures and makeup when you need it. Founder Alexandra Wilkis Wilson explains more.
Kérastase Hair Coach
The smart brush features Withings’ advanced sensors and seamless product design plus L’Oréal’s signal analysis algorithms to score the quality of hair and monitor the effects of different routines.
Les Bar des Coloristes
Hair stylists, nail bars, but most of them offer standard colours to choose from. Instead you can start with a colour specialist, customised just for your skin, your hair, and your aspiration.
Dye your hair at home, like a professional … Explore what inspired us to create Madison Reed, a company that is revolutionizing the hair color industry through “high-tech and high-touch”
Pravane Blond Wand
The hair colour has launched The Blonde Wand. Like a magic wand for colorists, this unique thermal tool allows one to fully process foil highlights in seconds with less damage than traditional lightening.
Founder Lopo Champalimaud, previously of travel innovator Lastminute, talks about his new brand, for finding and securing the right hair stylist for you, whenever you need it.
More from Peter Fisk:
- Changing the game of beauty: 3d printing Adorn to vlogging Ipsy and Vinaya wearables
- Innovating haircare … Call the Glamsquad, visit the Drybar, get your smart brush
- Glossier: Beauty brand for the Instagram generation (Case Study)
- Ipsy: Michelle Phan reinvents the beauty industry (Case Study)
- Philosophy: Skincare that inspires people to believe in more (Case Study)
- Tatcha: Beauty inspired by the Japanese Geisha (Case Study)
- P&G Retreat: Changing the Game of Beauty (workshop)
- Growth Accelerator: Reinventing the future of beauty (workshop)
- Innolab: Accelerating better ideas into practical action (strategy process)
- Future Fashion: innovating how we look, what we wear (extract from new book)